Colmar, France

Colmar without doubt is one of the most beautiful small towns I've ever seen. I enjoyed it not only because I got to visit my sister there, but also because of its vibrant but yet peaceful surroundings. I stayed at my sister's studio at Avenue de Fribourg, and started wandering around very early in the morning before the sun came up. No people were present except for a man cleaning the streets and a cafe owner preparing to open shop. The temparature wasn't too cold, light and brisk just the way I like it. It was quiet and peaceful, nothing to be heard except birds chirping, and there was smell of fresh baked bread. I knew it was going to be a start of a very good day. I had the opportunity to see the whole town wake up.


Walked through Rue Turenne and found Petite Venice (or little Venice - the most romantic spot in Colmar most people say). Then carried on forward to Place de L'ancienne Douane, Place de la Cathedral, Place de la Mairie, Place des Dominicans, all breathtaking squares with magnificent display of beauty. Every building and every street in Colmar is different and has its own unique surprises. Eventhough its a small town, so many little details impressed me that I needed to walk very slowly to appreciate every one of them. The buildings are in different shapes, form and colour. Some are green, blue, orange, pink...you name it, made me feel like I was in lego land. Some are marvelous and meticulous in architecture. Some have edgy, crooked and un-even shapes which makes you think you're in some kind of cute cartoon. Awesome. All these mixed wonders fusions Colmar into what it is. Bumped into a couple, overhearing them converse in Japanese. I say to the guy "Ohaiyo, nihon no kata desu ka?" (Morning..you're japanese?). He just replied "hmm" without any facial expression. I probably was intruding their privacy and joy, so I let them be.

Continued further to Place D'unterlinden. It was 9 a.m by the time I reached there, just when the Unterlinden Museum opened for entrance, so I went. I was at awe seeing the 13th to 15th century art work, especially the one's by Martin Schangauer. Some of the engravings needed to be under very dim light, to protect it from its delicate and vulnerable self from very old age. It also has various collections and paintings, sculptures representing renish art from the end of the middle ages to the Renaissance. Coming out from the museum was another surprise. The previously empty town, was suddenly filled with groups of tourists from Japan and Britain. Everybody had the look of a cheerful 5 year old. Many of the Japs brought their own drawing pads and paint brushes, sat in a corner...and painted.


Next was to the house where Frederic Auguste Bartholdi was born. Yup, the dude who sculptured the Statue of Liberty. Neighboring this is Pfister house and also the oldest house in Colmar. Then, went to Place Rapp, Bruat Fountain - monument of the commander of the french fleet (also work from Bartholdi). Next to this was a nice water tower. By 11.30 a.m, I covered most of Colmar (on foot), and enjoyed every second. Went back to my sister's place, then did the whole round again, this time together with her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

huh! finally dapat image kalau apai pakai tudung... hahaha...